RE: Bearings and grease

> There's been a lot of useful advise lately on changing front wheel
> bearings, next time, I think I'll try to do them myself.
>
> However, one thing puzzles me: several contributors talk about the need
> to completely pack the bearings with grease. I always thought this was
> the wrong thing to do as it causes hot running. I checked this with a
> colleagure here (practicing mechanical engineer, I'm just a mechanical
> engineer who thinks he's a statistician) and he agrees with me.
>
> I would have thought the most important thing is to get the right type
> of grease for this demanding application, one that will stay in place
> and keep working for the life of the bearing.

there's packing the bearing, and there's packing the hub.  the way i was
taught (by paul glynn), you're supposed to pack the bearing completely and
smear grease around the inside of the hub (i.e. *don't* pack the hub).  i
use the palm of the hand method, and work the bearing around to completely
squish grease all the way through it.

hope this helps,

bs