Re: Starting Question revisted

Craig wrote:

>The symptoms:  88 Spider will turn over for 3-4 minutes before starting.
>After starting, runs great.  After the car has been running it will start
up
>immediately,
>
>I've checked the cold start sensor - current passes through when cold,
>doesn't when hot.
>I've pulled the Cold start injector out and turned over the engine - gas
>sprays evenly.
>Battery shows just over 12 volts.
>
>Any thoughts on what else to check?

Yes Craig, make sure that the hoses leading from the fuel pump to the
engine are in perfect condition.  If they leak at all, the pressure in the
fuel lines will drop while the car is parked for long periods.  The fuel
pump will then have to repressurize the line before the correct mixture is
delivered by the injectors.  This only happens while the engine is
cranking.  Try this as a test:  after leaving the car sit overnight, undo
the airbox, and reach into the airflow meter; with the ignition on, push
the flap open until you hear the fuel pump run; let it run for a minute or
so; put everything back together, and try starting.

Retarded timing can also cause slow cold starts.  Make absolutely sure that
the timing is set correctly.  Also make sure that the advance system is
working correctly:  vacuum advance lines in perfect condition, vacuum
advance system in the distributer working properly, mechanical advance
working correctly.

Rich
Manitou Springs, CO
'82 GTV6 Balocco