Automatic 105 GTV's

John H wrote:
"I realize that the automatic GT Veloce could have been a conversion,
(given
the description of its stablemate) but the question hangs there: did Alfa
Romeo build some GT Veloces with automatic boxes? And, more generally, does
anybody have information on the dates, models, numbers, and markets offered
automatics prior to their general availability?"

FWIW I can add some anecdotal information. I have seen a number of these
Auto 105 GTV 2000's here in Sydney. I am also aquatinted with one of the
owners. He told me that (in his opinion) the cars were limited in number
and were assembled from CKD kits by Alfa in South Africa late in the life
of the model. The cars I have seen all have Campanatura (sp?) mag wheels
similar in design to the early Alfetta GT/V's which somewhat supports this
opinion. I have also seen pictures of these wheels on late SE (Special
Edition) versions of the car sold in the UK. He believes HIS car was
privately imported but thought that the dealerships at the time may have
imported them directly as well. I don't think Alfa had a subsidiary set up
then and the dealers bought from Alfa Italy and could just as easily
sourced cars from S.A. or the UK for that matter.
His particular car suffered from particularly poor panel fit and alignment
which he was of the opinion was common to the S.A. assembled vehicles.

Regds

Bill