Thermostatic Actuators

Regarding a bad TA:

When they fail, they protrude less, causing the car to run rich.  Sounds like
your's has failed.  There is a calibration chart for them available which
gives protrusion vs. temperature.  I don't have it handy, but can fax you one
if you like.

I would not take a ball peen hammer to it.

I'd recommend replacing it with a rebuilt one.  Many sources have rebuilt
TA's available for about $160 + core charge.  Some only rebuild the internals
and don't replace the tube.  Others replace the tube.

I bought a rebuilt one about two years ago.  When "new" it protruded ~29mm at
175 F (which is 2mm too long for my '74 gtv).  So, I made a shim to take up
the extra.  A few weeks ago, when I was resetting the FI, I noticed that the
protrusion is now just about right (so I had to make a much smaller shim....
or I could have adjusted it out with the TA screw).  If the trend continues,
I'll be looking at another rebuild in a year.

I can tell you offline where I bought it.

What are other's experiences with rebuilt TAs?

If you're adventuresome, you can rebuild it yourself.  I've had mild success
with this, but the one I tried it on had a broken tube too close to the
bottom plunger, which made repair difficult.  It worked fine for a few weeks,
until vibration broke the joint.  If your tube is good, and you're not shy,
you can rebuild it yourself.  I think Rich Hirsch can direct you to the
instructions.

Good luck, hope that helps,

Bob Brady, DVAROC
Yardley, PA