105 GTV Daily Driver

In AD V7#268 Lawrence wrote

"Is anyone out there using an older GTV as a
daily - rainy day, sunny day, hot day, cold day - driver?  I'm pining over
this decision."

Lawrence. My daily driver is a 68 1750 GTV, 44 miles total to and from work
just about every day. I must admit the maintanence is probably a little more
than a modern car, but as far as I'm concerned its practical (and fun)
especially considering the car is probably appreciating slightly compared
with any other modern piece of XXXX that will halve in price over 3 years.

I hear from many people that the cars are too old to run as daily drivers,
which I find hard to believe considering most parts (except body panels) are
still readily available. One thing I have found that makes the car a lot
more enjoyable if its driven regularly is to leave the exhaust system
standard from the point of view of noise generation. I had the rear muffler
missing (replaced with pipe) and found that the extra noise was a little
aggravating after a while, although lots of fun when you get on those twisty
bits.

The only other problem you will certainly run into as a daily driver is lack
of interior cooling in summer (not helped by the black vinyl interior) which
can be a bit of a pain when the temp gets up around 40 Celsius (approx
104F) here. Usually though I've got the Spider running (with the air
conditioner up on the garage shelf where it belongs) when its like that.

Warren Reid
Melbourne Australia

68 1750 GTV, daily driver
86 Spider Veloce (de-smogging starts next week - power at last!)
84 Alfetta GCL, family hauler
58 and 61 Bugeyes

End of alfa-digest V7 #270