Re: GTV-6 Power Steering & a Maserati Question

Terrence Meacock <Terrence.Meacock@domain.elided> wrote:

> I'd like to avoid the workout that comes with driving my
> GTV-6 at parking speeds. Therefore, I would like to explore
> the possibility of fitting the power steering unit from a
> Milano. Could someone please help me answer the following
> questions:
>
> - Would a Milano power steering unit be a direct fit?
>
> - How big a fitting job would it be - any complications?
>
> - Would I be losing any of the wonderful responsiveness and
>   feel that is part of the normal GTV-6 manual unit?
>
> - Any other possible downsides?

As I recall, the Milano power steering rack requires the
Milano steering column.  I know of two GTV-6s converted to
use a Milano power steering rack, and both have Milano
columns for this reason.

The Milano column, in turn, requires the use of a Milano
steering wheel and Milano turn signal/wiper/light levers.
The levers can be made to work with GTV-6 electrics with
a little bit of rewiring.

I like the idea not so much because of the lighter
steering, but because of the quicker ratio.  The stock
GTV-6 steering is far too low-geared.  It requires armfuls
of lock around corners.

The Milano steering is quicker and is not overboosted.  I
think you'll find it an improvement in responsiveness.

Good luck!
- - Tom

'82 GTV6 #1
'82 GTV6 #2