Tire Rack Story...

Here's why my next tires will probably be from the Tire Rack:  about a year and a half ago, my associate in insanity, Don Happel and I corked off a hazy 24 hours of driving by ending up at the Tire Rack.  It was a Saturday afternoon, close to closing time, and we were there to buy 14 tires, have them mounted, etc.  Every salesmans dream.

On the way in, we were admiring a older Jag out in front of the building.  The sales staff was courteous, the prices were right, and then we headed out into the service area (the front of the warehouse, really).  Along with the other installers was an older gentleman, dressed in work denims, helping out lug tires, etc.  Somehow, we got talking about Alfas, at which point he mentioned he had an Alfa he was thinking of selling, that was at that time stored in the St. Louis area.  He wasn't exactly sure about the details, but said his son knew.  So he called his son out from the office area to chat with us.  Hmmmmmm.  Then Don mentioned he edited the local chapter newsletter, and this gentleman asked if we could post a classified.  No problem, of course, so he pulled out a business card.

That's right, the gentleman changing our tires, late on a Saturday afternoon, was the president/owner of the company.  Turns out the Jag was his, we helped him roll it into the warehouse.

By the time we had everything ready to go, it was past closing time.  It was, in fact, dinnertime.  We inquired as to a good location to eat, and he provided us with directions.  In fact, he said had we mentioned it earlier, we could have run to get something to eat while we were waiting, borrowing one of the fleet of BMW test cars out front.

And THAT is why my next tires will come from the Tire Rack.

- - Paul Witek