Re: alfa-digest V7 #260

In a message dated 11/16/98 6:35:09 PM Eastern Standard Time, owner-alfa-
digest@domain.elided writes:

> I just finished placing an aftermarket oil gauge below the dash of my '78
> Alfa
>  Spider.  I did so because the readings seemed low and the oil warning light
>  was coming on during idle.  However, the gauge seemed to be giving me
> accurate
>  readings: at idle it is 7, driving it averages 40, and the highest is 50.
>  have read that the factory expects it to be 7 to 14 at idle, and 57 max.
> Even
>  these readings would tend to worry me a bit.

I forgot to mention in a previous response that Alfa crankshafts, especially
the later hardened ones sometimes throw out the aluminum plugs in the cross
drilled oil passages inthe crankshaft between the mains and rod journals.  If
you expeienced a sudden drop in pressure and were planning on dropping the
sump make sure you check these.

Regards,

Frank