Re: alfa-digest V7 #260

In a message dated 11/16/98 6:35:09 PM Eastern Standard Time, owner-alfa-
digest@domain.elided writes:

> I just finished placing an aftermarket oil gauge below the dash of my '78
> Alfa
>  Spider.  I did so because the readings seemed low and the oil warning light
>  was coming on during idle.  However, the gauge seemed to be giving me
> accurate
>  readings: at idle it is 7, driving it averages 40, and the highest is 50.
>  have read that the factory expects it to be 7 to 14 at idle, and 57 max.
> Even
>  these readings would tend to worry me a bit.
>
>  Here is my question...If I replace the oil pump with OE, what kind of
> readings
>  can I expect?  Will it end up being the same?  What are some opinions,
> should
>  I be worried with the current readings?  Is there anything such as a high
>  volume oil pump?  Where do I get it from?

As far as pressure goes, 10 Psi/1000 Rpm is a good ball park figure after the
engine's fully warmed up.  There's an internal pressure relief valve on the
oil pump with a spring and plunger for cold startups - make sure spring
tension's correct and valve seat and disc are O.K.  Haven't seen any high
volume oil pumps on the market.  Roll pins in block to head passages will
increase volume to crank bearings.  I would never use any additives in my
engine.  In my engine (1750) with bearing clearances set to the upper limit,
oil pressure is between 20 and 75, hot, idle to redline with new pump, and
bearings with 15 X 40 weight oil.  Your pressure would appear to be in the
normal range.

Regards,

Frank Formeister

End of alfa-digest V7 #261