RE: Engine weight data standardization.

> There has been some discussion of engine weights recently, and off-and-on
in
> the past. In response to a question about the weight of a two-liter engine
and
> transmission, Brian Shorey wrote "the motor is around 190 - 200 lbs, the
> tranny (w/o bellhousing) is around 60 lbs."
>
> Keith Hyndes volunteered "220 lbs complete", probably on the basis of his
> earlier posting of an Alfetta 1.8 (1779 cc, the US 1750) engine = 101 kgs
(222
> lbs) c/w alt. and starter.

i'll defer to keith's measurement as the more accurate one - i was providing
ballpark figures.  the tranny with bell housing does in fact weigh 58 lbs,
according to the scales at united airlines.  that is a dry weight.  it will
weigh less on the return flight, after tom sahines has lightened the gears a
bit ;)

<snip>
> I'm guessing that Brian Sherry's around "190 - 200 lbs." is a precision
> educated muscle measurement of the "don't need no friggin tork rench"
variety,
> although I assume he is a proper gentleman technician when twisting nuts.

it depends whose nuts are being twisted..

fwiw, john, your extensive research is sincerely appreciated, by me at
least.  of all the posts i save with good, comprehensive data in them, yours
are by far the most numerous (just as mine probably get pitched with the
highest frequency by most digesters :( )

fwiw #2, it would seem to me that figures of around 300 lbs (or more) for a
'dressed' motor must be for at least the engine and flywheel, and then some
combination of intake, carbs/injection pump, possibly headers, and/or clutch
and tranny.  there's no way that motor weighs 300 lbs without something
bolted on to it..

later,

bs