Engine weight data standardization.

There has been some discussion of engine weights recently, and off-and-on in
the past. In response to a question about the weight of a two-liter engine and
transmission, Brian Shorey wrote "the motor is around 190 - 200 lbs, the
tranny (w/o bellhousing) is around 60 lbs."

Keith Hyndes volunteered "220 lbs complete", probably on the basis of his
earlier posting of an Alfetta 1.8 (1779 cc, the US 1750) engine = 101 kgs (222
lbs) c/w alt. and starter.

Then Anthony Licalzi offered some info from some old competition prep papers
covering the 1750, GTA, GTA Junior and Giulia 1600 engines, giving for the
1750 321 pounds wet, ready to run, and 299 pounds in racing trim.

Keith Hyndes  had stated in his earlier post " I have weighed ", so it was not
guesswork or old data from a secondary source., but I guess 'complete'
probably means with intake manifold and carbs (he being in Australia, I
think).

I assume that "wet, ready to run" includes oil, but probably not water, unless
added as calculated data, since it would be unlikely to include hoses and
radiator, and the water wouldn't stay there- but what the old competition prep
papers meant by "in racing trim" numbers appreciably less than the "wet"
numbers (16# less for a 1600, 25# less for a GTA JR, 8# less for a GTA, 22#
less for a 1750) is beyond my Oji board's computing capabilities.

I'm guessing that Brian Sherry's around "190 - 200 lbs." is a precision
educated muscle measurement of the "don't need no friggin tork rench" variety,
although I assume he is a proper gentleman technician when twisting nuts.

I guess weights wouldn't be too important except for the swap crowd, but
numbers without a clear understanding of what is or is not attached can't mean
much. But, what does?

Cordially,

John H.