Re: Calif. Emmissions

>From: Keith Ahern <lll-winken.llnl.gov!pmc.philips.com!keith>

>This isn't strictly true, if you can prove you spent money trying to make
>your car pass smog (I think its $500 - lower for low income families) then
>you can get a smog cert!  This happened with a friends mustang, just show
>you tried and they let it pass, but it will cost $$.

Technically true, but they don't tell you that at first. Under the original
"Smog II" program there was no upper limit. The multi-hundred dollar cap
(whatever it is) was allowed after people screamed (correctly) that Smog II
was a thinly disguised attempt to force old cars off the road (note that "old"
means "before 1990").

>Also I've seen smog tests as low as $19.95 with offers like free retests
>until you pass.

True again, but would you bring your Alfa to one? I did once, and they
wouldn't pass me on the visual test because it didn't have an air pump or
an EGR valve. I pointed out that the engine was bone stock for a '74, but
they wouldn't beleive me. I now take it to Import Doctors in San Ramon
since Bob knows little tricks to get a Spica equipped car to pass legally
(e.g. change the oil just before the test, run the car at fast idle for
about 30 seconds prior to starting the test to let the mixture "settle
down" etc.).

- - Jack