Re: Calif. Emmissions

From: "David R Johnson" <johnsnd@domain.elided>

>Sometimes I think that the states adopting the standards are seeing them
>as money generators more than environmental protection.

It's always reassuring to watch the lightbulb go on! Too bad it doesn't
happen more often with more people.

>I do wonder , however, what happens if you move to a police state (sorry I
>mean environmentally concerned state :), what you have to do to register a
>car bought in an emissions-challenged state?  I assume this can be done,
>since to prohibit it seems a violation of freedom, but what does it take?

In the Democratic Peoples Republic of Kalifornia it takes $300 just to get
the DMV to start talking to you about brining your car in. There are other
costly complience issues to take care of after that, depending on the make
and year. After you're in, it's $30 to $200 per year of "registration fee"
(based on the value of your vehicle) on top of the "licence fee" of $24. The
former goes down some each year as your vehicle depreciates but all you can
deduct on your federal tax return is the latter. If you want a personalized
plate, that's another $25 "environmental fee" every year.

Then there's the $50 or so every other year for a smog inspection (with no
upper limit on how much you have to spend on making it comply) until the
car's 30 years old.

Still interested in coming?

- - Jack

| Jack Hagerty                |                                             |
| jack@domain.elided   |                                             |
| Robotic Midwives, Ltd.      |  You will be wise not to seek too much      |
| Livermore, CA		      |      from others. - Fortune cookie          |
| (925) 455-1143 (voice/fax)  |                                             |
|        ARA #97, NAR #55105, LUNAR #002 / TRA #3943, Aero-PAC #168         |