Re: wheel spacers

> Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 19:47:51 -0800 (PST)
> From: Alan Lambert <gerard@domain.elided>
> Subject: Re: wheel spacers
>
> I added spacer to move tire away from inner liner--andn added a wild
> shimmy to the car--my current advice--"don't do it!"

Most likely fault: a spacer with improperly sized and/or positioned
holes (in other words a spacer for another car).  Other possibilities: a
spacer that had non parallel sides, you got something under the spacer.

Spacers bought from Alfa Ricambi, for example, do not produce any
problem.  You do want to be careful about the spacer thickness.

I have two pairs of spacers to fit 105/115 chassis.  The older appears
to be cast magnesium, is so fine it appears like a spider web, weighs
almost nothing, and works perfectly.  The newer pair is machined from
aluminum stock and also fits and works perfectly.

So, the correct advise is: make sure that you have the right part.

chrisp