elise sighting

In the midst of all this talk about Elise's I had an erie occurance.
Someone in my company called me yesterday and asked if I saw the cool
yellow car in the parking lot.  Being a known car enthusiast, I get a lot
of these calls.  I said "no, what is it" figuring it was a 911 or
something.  They said " a lotus elise ... I think, ever heard of one of
those ?".  I of course responded that this was impossible.  I then stepped
outside and low and behold, a brand new fly yellow elise with a Georgia
distributor plate in the rear window was parked less than 50 yards away.

Our company builds two stroke engines and we often get involved in the
automotive world at different levels, so it's probably a test vehicle or
something.  I've seen some pretty cool, very unusual stuff float through
here from time to time.

In any event, very cool car.  Much smaller than I would have expected.  It
was about the length, width and apparent weight of a formula ford car with
a full body.  WOULD NOT WANT TO CRASH IN THIS VEHICLE.   Looked to be
production quality.  Very striking.   I think it was a spider, sort of like
a soft top targa setup.  Kind of reminded me of a cross between a Lancia
Stratos and an X 1/9.  No bumpers, very curvy rear end (928 ish), simple
functional interior, with chrome door sills.  Didn't have enough time to
look underneath or in the engine bay.

It was here for a day and a half, not enough time to figure out who had the
keys.  Damn !!!

I'd guess Lotus (or maybe a component manufacturer like Bosch, Lucas, etc)
is taking it on tour to demonstrate some element of their technology.  Nice
sales tool.  I'd bet this is the same car others are seeing around their
respective towns.

Steve Hoffins

'83 GTV6
'91 Spider Veloce (still for sale - going in storage very soon)
'95 VW Eurovan Camper