Re: Calif. emissions

On Nov 10,  3:58pm, Rosso75@domain.elided wrote:

> was NY.  I was looking at a Jeep last summer and it listed in the sales
> brochure a Ca/Ma/NY emissions option that was required for residents of those
> states, so I guess it's been implemented by now.
>   Interestingly, if you live outside those states you can't get the emissions
> package.  If it's such a good thing for the environment and all, why won't
> they offer it everywhere if there are people who would buy it?

I seem to remember that some of these "packages" do not refer to hardware
options, but to the administrative cost of certifying the car as meeting the
CA, MA or NY standards.  Sometimes I think that the states adopting the
standards are seeing them as money generators more than environmental
protection.  I don't know for sure that this is true, but it would make sense
to pass on the cost to residents of those states.  If so, there would be no
reason to pay for it out-of-state since the actual emissions and hardware
remain the same.  I do wonder , however, what happens if you move to a police
state (sorry I mean environmentally concerned state :), what you have to do to
register a car bought in an emissions-challenged state?  I assume this can be
done, since to prohibit it seems a violation of freedom, but what does it take?

Dave J.
82 GTV6

- --