Calif. emissions

Ian Kerr wrote: << California probably has the strictest standards in the
world...

Michael Williams wrote:  <<Some cars in US are 49-state only and California
cars have to be just a bit cleaner than anywhere else in US...

FYI -- When I was selling new Honda's/VW's in Mass. a few years ago the big
news in our area was that Mass. was adopting the 'Ca. emissions' standards, as
was NY.  I was looking at a Jeep last summer and it listed in the sales
brochure a Ca/Ma/NY emissions option that was required for residents of those
states, so I guess it's been implemented by now.
  Interestingly, if you live outside those states you can't get the emissions
package.  If it's such a good thing for the environment and all, why won't
they offer it everywhere if there are people who would buy it?  I wanted to
buy a Jeep here in Va. and drive it to Ca., so I figured I might as well get
the Ca. emissions.  The local dealer said I would have to get a vehicle out of
NY or Mass. since they couldn't even order one.
Bryan Carter
No. Va.