CA Emissions test

> Subject: Lotus Elise
>
> Could someone in CA please explain how a new Lotus Elise which has the
> same
> Rover 1.8 K-series engine with V.V.C. that's in the MGF, as well as a
> modern
> catalyser can fail your emissions test? That is one of the finest engines
> around.
>  I would guess that there are some big old American gas guzzlers driving
> about with huge ccs that produce far more emissions ;-). I'm genuinely
> puzzled.

	I believe that if the make and model is not in the state's computer,
they can not (legally) proceed with the test. So, if the car wasn't approved
for import and use in the Republic of California, a smog certificate cannot
be issued, regardless of how clean the exhaust is.

	Karl
	Sunnyvale, CA
	'95 164LS
	...and two big smog-exempt V-8 American cars that are older than I
am.