matching numbers

     When I read literature oriented around restoring American cars
     "matching numbers" seems to be a big deal.  I think there are even
     handbooks the afficionados use to determine which numbers should
     match.

     I have never hear an Alfa person mention matching numbers.  In fact it
     doesn't seem to matter, and often helps the value of a car to swap in
     a better engine for example (larger, later, or upgraded components,
     say to make a Normale look like a Veloce), or replace drum brakes with
     disks etc.  Originality doesn't seem to be a big deal with the Alfa
     croud.  I would assume however that when restoring something really
     rare such as a GTA or a TZ that originality would become much more
     important.  "Originality" can mean "original style" (i.e. having the
     right type of headers on a Veloce), or "original to the car" (i.e.
     matching numbers).

     Questions I have: is there a book or documentation stating how to
     determine if an Alfa has matching numbers?  For which models would it
     be important?

     Doug Bender