Re: oil gauge

Not long ago the oil pressure sending unit on my 79 Alfetta finally went out
(read real low for months).  I ordered a replacement from IAP - problem is/was
that the replacement was dimensionally longer than the original and wouldn't
fit the space between where it screws into the block and the starter.  To get
the new one in I would have to remove the starter - screw in the sending unit
- - then replace the starter.  I had scheduled 1/2 to do the job initially and
didn't have time to remove starter, etc.

I mounted a mechanical unit temporarily in the car until I had a chance to fix
the electrical sending unit.

I have a couple mechanical oil pressure gauges around I use for checking oil
pressure when electrical sending units are acting up.  I bought them at
Walmart (Equs - or something like that) for $9.  They come with all the
connections and adapters you need - including ones that work on Alfas they
even have a backlight to illuminate the gauge at night.  My Walmart doesn't
sell them anymore - but I saw them at Standard Autoparts - but they were $20.
I believe they will fit in the standard Alfa Spider gauge holder on the dash -
originally why I bought the first one - never got around to installing it.  I
have one mounted in my Jeep - has worked great for two years now.

Only problem I have is the nylon tube where it connects into the block tends
to leak a little over time (guess it is a heat and plastic problem - other end
doesn't ever leak) - no problem - get a new $0.05 brass compression collar at
the hardware store, cut 0.25" off end of tube and reassemble for another 6
months of leak free pressure readings.

I decided to go with copper tubing on the gauge for the Alfetta after
realizing it might be some time before I got around to putting in the correct
sending unit.  I found a 6' copper tubing kit at HiLo/OReilley complete with
fittings for $10.  Problem is - the copper tubing was transmitting engine
vibration noise to the cabin.  I checked and adjusted the tubing so that it
came in contact with nothing under the dash nor in the engine compartment.
The tube came through the center of a 1" rubber grommet on the firewall - but
still there was a hum in the cabin that was proportional to engine speed - in
an otherwise quiet car - this was irritating.

I bought a brass 90 degree elbow and mounted the sending unit to that to get
around the starter clearence problem and installed the correct electrical
sending unit and removed the mechanical unit.

Has anyone else found that the copper tubing transmits noise through the
firewall?

Ben Higgins
Galveston, Texas