Why they're called CAM turning tools

At 09:56 AM 11/5/98 -0500, Tom Muccino wrote:
>From: tmuccino@domain.elided
>Subject: Turning a Spider Engine
>
>Remove all four spark plugs, tighten the belt for the alternator nice and
>snug, put a spanner on the alternator pulley nut and turn away. Works
>well ...  but don't forget to adjust the belt tension back to spec before
>driving away.

Now, THAT'S a good idea.  In my younger days, I tried turning the
fan.  That works OK until you snap off a fan blade!

>If you have the cam cover off, get the cam turning tool and
>use it to turn the engine.

Gee, I don't think so.  Given the 2:1 gearing between the cams
and the crankshaft, you need to put twice the torque on the
cam as is needed to turn the crankshaft.  I really doubt the
two little pins on the cam turning tool are up to the task.
No, I believe the "cam turning tool" is to be used ONLY to
turn the cams, when they are disconnected from the crankshaft
(ie, when the timing chain is off).

Jay Mackro