One Lap Comes to an end...for now -Long

Hi all!

Well, it's over.
After the Zelazneenees thoughtfully delayed me a day to recoup some
energy, I headed out early on Monday morning to head towards the
Bennetts, northeast of Houston. Texas is HUGE state, and I need to cover
500 miles to do it. I saw alot of the state, and so many different types
of geography as I went along. It went from mountains to desert to plains
to grassy meadows...a really nice state, almost 900 miles from on end of
I-10 to the other. Lots of "wide open spaces" (country music fans will
recognize this as a theme to a current hit. You will learn to listen to
either your engine, or country music, the language of truck drivers
everywhere. It grows on you... {pause to spit chew}

As I was warned by Bernie 1, Austin has it's hazards.

I was on Rt. 290, at a traffic light on the west end of Austin, waiting
for the light to change, and some piece of #^%$ in a crappy beat up
Mazda 626 runs right into the back of my car. Wham! The guy was a real
jerk too, says he saw no damage... well, those nice gouges in my bumper
cover were new. It looked worse after I washed it.  What a (substitute
your favorite word here for jerk)... Then he decides he doesn't need to
stay around...seemed anxious. Well I at least need the cover repainted.
I don't know about what's underneath. We'll see at the body shop. The
copper that showed up 2 1/2 hours later, ! for a police report
(recommended if you are out of state) said the guy probably either had
stolen the car or it had no insurance, hence the speedy departure.
Either way, with a plate and reg. # they didn't seem to care either way.
No wonder crime is high today. Lock your cars.(I'm just venting...)

Anyway, I finally arrived at the Bennetts, and they really had Beans and
Weenies!! This was cool! Not any ordinary weenies either...they were
good and hot and spicy. Just right... Some local Blue Bonnet ice cream,
(I saw the factory on the way east...) really finished it off nicely.
Bernie's 164 LS in in the hospital, so Sofia spent a savored night in a
garage! Rare for her and rarer this month. Brenham looks like a neat
town, sort of Main Street USA. Bernie is a real Alfa nut, and Diana fits
what Bernie 1 in Alpine refers to as "a perfect Alfa wife". His and hers
164s...does it get any better?

Thanks! again to the Bennetts for such nice treatment and patience with
my rubbery schedule.

Tuesday morning the Bennetts had to get off to work, which got me
started nice and early. Houston on through Loozee-anna, I saw some
swamps and the interstate is elevated for a long way over this.
Different. I stopped for a break in a little town and found a 75 cent
(!) car wash and gave the slimy grimy Soifa a bath and a closer look at
the wounds from her near mating ritual. What do you get if you cross a
Blahzda with a 168? Ick....

Since this area is relatively close to home, I decided to take the
express trip. Bernie Z would be proud, Major mileage on Tuesday.
Mississippi and Alabama went quickly. I meant to give Rodney a call, but
I was in and out of Miss. so fast... I hit Florida Tues evening. This
place is big too, 200+ miles to Tallahassee, where it's another almost
200 to Tampa. So I took the short route through the boonies, shorter to
go 19 south to 98 to 41. I stopped for a nap and made it home around 3.
My book says 1060 miles.

What an adventure! 10,300 miles in a month and 3 days. 27 states, Canada
and Mexico...

Thanks for riding along with me.
- --

Bill Harkell