Re: GTV-6 ride height adjustment saga

At 09:34 PM 11/2/98 -0800, Jake Thomas wrote:
<major snip>
>I'm happy to stand corrected on this but it looks as though even the right
>size of separator would still have damaged the boot.  There simply isn't
>enough room to avoid it.  Now that it's apart and I can see what's going
>on, I think the balljoint separator is the wrong tool for the job.  Much
>better would be a 2-arm gear puller; applied from below, it would pull down

Even better is the two-hammer approach to splitting the tapered part of the
balljoint. Works a treat every time I use it. Undo nut a few turns (do not
remove completely!), support side of A-arm with one large hammer, strike
side of hub carrier smartly with another hammer, and taper will fall out.
Undo nut the rest of the way. Finished. No damaged boots, threads or
anything. In the case of rusty threads it may be necessary to free and undo
the nut first, clean the threads and refit the nut, as you may otherwise be
left with a rusty nut on freely rotating balljoint stud. Which is a problem.

Best, Jaap Bouma (Netherlands)
'87 GTV6 2.5 Grand Prix