Alfa 75/90/164

Vlad wrote:

> On a different matter, I saw first time yesterday close the 164 LS.This
> is what they called in EU 164 Super.I wasn't sure if it was sent here.
> Also, if this helps anyone I just want to clarify and say that 164
> doesn't follow as a model 75-Milano, but the AR 90.
> 75-Milano was followed by 155.
> Therefore it's not the best comparison to make, between 164 and 75.
> I think that a Milano, and the feeling it gives (say the verde) should
> be compared with an 155 verde, that is full-time 4wd.

I've seen this line of reasoning before (Dana ??) and am curious about
it. It may have the AR marketing material that suggests it, but really
the 90 and 75 were essentially the same car, just repackaged. The 164 is
a much bigger car, pitched at a different market segment. In my mind,
the engineering progression of sedans from the early-mid 70s onwards
looks like this:

Alfetta (and Giulietta) -> 90 -> 75 -> 155 - > 156
Nothing -> 164 -> 166
Sud -> 33 -> 145 & 146

Ok, the link from the 75 to the 155 is very tenous, with a completely
different package (FIAT ownership -> FWD, iron-block 4cyl, etc)

Food for thought,

Tony
1979 Alfetta 2000
1985 Alfa 90 2.5i
The Alfa 90 page http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/7709
- --
Tony Lupton                            *           CiTR Pty Ltd
Email: t.lupton@domain.elided         *    *         339 Coronation Drive
Phone: +61 7 3259 2382                  *          PO Box 1643
Fax:   +61 7 3259 2259                             Milton Qld 4064
                                      *            Australia