Accelerator Sticking Problem

This has been a reoccuring problem with my Spider and has become
progressively worse over the last six months.  After I press down the
accelerator pedal, it sticks when I release it.  The engine continues to
rev. at the highest RPM I had reached.  I have to literally pull the pedal
back down with my foot to bring it back to idle.

If anyone could offer any experience or wisdom on this problem I would
greatly appreciate it.  I have Saturday blocked off to tackle this one.

Frank Sewell
Charleston, SC
'88 Spider Veloce