RE: GTV-6 suspension settings & genteel discourse

hi john,

you said:
	>Jake Thomas wrote
	>	>My thanks to the two gentlemen who have replied on this.

	>to which doug sedon replied,
	>	>i'm not so sure the respected mr. hertzman appreciates being
compared to
	>me in this manner!  :>)
	>
	>I don't at all mind being compared to dug, it's the 'gentlemen' part
I'm not
	>too sure about- and, while we're at it, 'respected' seems a bit - well
- --
	>somewhat exaggerated.
===================================
it's the 'gentlemen' part i was referring to!  :>)  as far as 'respected', in
your case, i can honestly say i feel this is no exaggeration.

you then said:
	Mr. Thomas (if he will accept the capitalization, which is done in good
faith,
	no disrespect intended) will have noticed that dug's recommendations and
mine
	differ in a few respects. dug has been around a while, and has forgotten
more
	about gee-tee-whee-sexes than I will ever know. Mr. Thomas, if he is as
wise
	as I think he is, will interpolate between us and the manuals worlds of
      information which will serve him well in the future.
====================================
c'mon john, everyone knows you've been driving alfas longer than i've been
alive!  :>)

you then said:
	I gave the procedure for unloading the torsion bars which is given in
	the manual; dug, who knows where to be out of the way when things fly
apart,
      skipped that stage and saved a minute.
=================================
i confess i missed this, must not have read your post carefully, and i didn't
pick this up in the manual.  as i recall, tho, with the front of the car in the
air, there was no problem w/anything flying apart when the torsion bar was
backed out of the lower a-arm - the hub just dropped down towards the floor.
was it to disconnect the hub from the upper a-arm?  mebbe i did this...  always
one who is concerned for safety, i'd like to know how i lucked out - things
flying apart are something i try to avoid, when working on anything.

john, you also said:
	My GTV-6, if it ever gets back together, will be factory
	spec on suspension trim, tires, and almost everything else, (although I
would
	be glad to have a Platinum gearbox, and will be diddling with some
aesthetic
	elements). dug's gee-tee-whee-sex would undoubtedly beat mine around
Summit
      Point, but I will have quite enough pleasure in daily road-use.
i'm enjoying the platinum gearbox, w/the litened 1st, 2nd, & 3rd gears, & the
additional friction discs which gives 50% lock-up of the lsd.  forgetting about
track fun for the moment, i must honestly say that now my car is completely set
up w/halcorp (previously avo) adjustable shocks, the full shankle street-sport
suspension including front & rear sways, & my 225-50-15's, i truly prefer the
ride characteristics on the street more than when the car was stock.  while
definitely a firmer ride, the car seems more of a complete piece.  mebbe my car,
as purchased in 'original' condition, was extremely tired (w/only 64k miles?),
but the ride was so bad on bad roads, that it's actually a little better now in
these conditions.  i've put 62k miles on this car in 3.5 years, and it's as
great on the street as it has ever been!  if it weren't for distractions of a
verde & 2 motorcycles, the mileage would surely be higher - something about that
450 mi/week commute...

ciao for now,

doug s.