Re: reinz vs. goetze head gaskets

Robert, All,
In the early eighties I worked for Fel-Pro in their development lab. I worked
on both OEM and aftermarket applications. I am familiar with both the Reinz
and Goetze gaskets for the V-6 Alfas. Although the number were not large
enough for Fel-Pro to make gaskets for Alfas, from my experince with Audi-VW
and Cadillac, I feel qualified to comment on the pros and cons of the two
designs. The Reinz is very similar to the one of the successful Fel-Pro
designs, it is a somewaht hard faced gasket which uses silicone rubber beading
to achieve the correct loading, the rubber is usually screened onto the gasket
and then cured. This type of gasket is hard faced and has excellant holding
properties. It can be used as a no retorqe gasket, as can the Geotze gasket.
The Goetze gasket is more of a mud type seal which sets up after installation,
in fact that is why they are sealed and labeled, "do not open until ready to
use". I remember that the Goetze gasket for VW-Audi was freshness dated. We
saw a lot of leakage with VWs with the Goetze gasket. I prefer the Reinz.

John Katos

End of alfa-digest V7 #202