The Swedish connection

>This thing with Volvos made me think that maybe the wrong Swedish car
was
>compared.  Wasn't it Alfa, Fiat, and Saab that co-developed the 164
>platform?

Astride the threatening wave of auto manufacturer consolidation in the
late 80s, the 164, Saab 9000, Lancia Thema, and Fiat Chroma were jointly
developed in an effort to contain costs.  As a result, the cars share
similar drivetrains and sundry parts, though the 164 is the most
dissimilar and best looking :-) of the four.  Saab was later partially
acquired by GM, and those models now include a plethora of Opel parts.

On a related note, Saab and Volvo, considered niche manufacturers,  have
had recent difficulties making inroads in the American marketplace.
Long considered quirky and safe, both now position thermselves in the
already crowded luxury/ sport class, a category that a certain other
beloved marque encounted difficulty within.

Robin

'67 Duetto (taking a respite until the mechanic returns :-(
'92 Saab 900  (loves being an only child again)

Robin Boyar
Manager, Customer Care
InsWeb Corporation
901 Marshall Street