Re: Exhaust Questions

Now you know why that front piece is called the "resonator". That seems
to be all it's good for. A more common failure mode is for it to buzz
like mad right around 3000-3200 RPM, echoing off the K-wall as you
drive on the freeway. Yours may be further along the decay curve. ;=(
You could try welding it up, but these repairs seem to fail again in
a short time, IMO. If you can do a really good job of welding it and
gusset the joint so it doesn't flex as much, it might last. Make sure
the exhaust brace strut to the tranny is up to the job.

The popular aftermarket exhaust parts usually appear at the rear and
work their way forward. ;=) Actually, the stock Alfa exhaust system
(pre-catalyst) flows really well up to about 7000 RPM. If you like
more noise, one popular option is an Ansa center and a straight pipe
for the rear. The front section can stay stock. Headers in front usually
just make a racket on these cars, again IMO. YMMV.