10548 Cams in a Spica Car

Since getting my '74 gtv back toghether, I can now turn to getting the
mechanicals sorted out.  Back in May, I replaced the engine/trans with a
spare I had.  Although the spare was in very good shape, I re-ringed it and
replaced all the stuff that can leak... so far, so good.

After putting it together and running it a bit, I've run into a problem with
idle..... oh, by the way, I also replaced the stock cams with the euro spec
10548's.

I've gone through the spica system and everything is adjusted properly.
Ignition timing is about 8degrees BTDC, per euro specs.  The car starts fine
from cold, but then as it warms, dies on idle.  Other than that, it runs
fine, but doesn't seem any faster than with the stock cams.  Last night, I
checked the cam timing.  It looks like the intake cam is a bit retarded, i.e.
~102 instead of 99.5 degrees, as it should be.

Tonight I'll retime the cams.  So, the question is, do you think having the
intake cam off by 3 degrees is enough to ruin my idle?  Intuitively it makes
sense, but I don't have a good feel for the sensitivity of cam timing and
running.  The stock cams certainly weren't this sensitive at idle, although a
couple degrees of difference is definately noticable at higher revs.

Anyway, anyone with some experience here (Tom Sahines?) care to share their
knowledge with me?

Thanks,

Bob Brady, DVAROC
'74 gtv
'88 verde

PS. For those of you who missed the annual DVAROC club picnic last weekend,
you missed a good one!  Pictures and articles will be forthcoming.