spider trunk cable

Hi Gregory,
I've had the cable on my '77 spider break twice in the 7 years I've had it,
but I'm not sure if this holds true for the '83 as well. One way to get it
open is to take off the little plastic panel surrounding the trunk latch
(only a few screws), and then yanking on the cable with a pair of pliers.
The other way involves accessing the trunk mechanism through a hole on
middle of the rear valance behind the bumper. I can't vouch for the second
method as I've never tried it - it's much easier just to remove the plastic
panel on a '77.
As for replacement, it's very difficult on my car to get the old cable out -
it's jammed itself in somewhere in the body, so I've just left it there, fed
in a new one (pretty easy), and connected it in place of the old one. The
cable itself costs under $20 from IAP.
Good luck.
Chris Keen