re: pat me on the back - no P-car for me.

I own a '86 P-944 and a '91 AR-164. I was once an owner (and still lover)
of an '84 GTV6. IMHO the 944 is a nice solid sports car. Comparing the 944
to the GTV6, the 944: 1. handled better (has lower C.G. and wider track)
(even after lowering and stiffening the gtv's suspension),
2. has a shorter stopping distance (it's slightly rear heavy),
3. has a nicer interior, it is streamline and quieter (and almost identical
to the newer 968)
4. has nicer creature comforts - power seats, power locks, cruise control,
power tilting sunroof (large and removable),
4. has a 19.5 gallon fuel tank (I was once able to go 600 miles on a tank),
5. the transmission was smoother in all gears (no 2nd gear crunch - ever), and
6. the rear hatch area was much more usable.

The GTV6: 1. has more low-end torque (begs to be driven hard),
2. has a wonderful sound (especially after ANSA exhaust),
3. is easier to work on (more room, simple design),
4. parts are cheaper,
5. can clutchless shift gears (never tried in the 944)
6. more usable rear seat, and
7. has a nice deap sump (7.5 quarts for the 2.5L)

The parts were more for the 944 but (the last water pump I bought was ~$270
- - new) but I worked on it less. Changing the oil filter on the 944 is
breeze. The filter sits on top in the front. Changing the timing belt on
the 944 is a nightmare, however. It has two belts for balancing its huge
2.5L 4cyc.

I'd never trade one for the other. They're both great cars. I traded my
GTV6 for my 164. More power. More comfort. But less sporty.

Michael