pat me on the back - no P-car for me.

Just want a little praise from you guys..
I came *this* close to picking up a 944 for a killer price, but
something didn't feel right - just no chemistry, no lust, nothing.
Besides, I got turned off a little when I looked into maintnce
costs: $600 parts for a water pump, $500 parts for a clutch R+R (plus
$1k for a PITA R+R).  And they got a rubber donut-like contraption
between the clutch disk and its splines.  YUK!
Oh yeah,  why can they use a torque tube w/o any donuts on the shaft,
and the 115 cars have to have the 3 donuts?  Of course the P-cars have
indep. rear vs. our DeDion, but theirs and ours X-axles are solidly
bolted to the body.  They have the clutch at teh flywheel, but I don't
think it matters... anybody?
yours in Alfas,
Jan in NJ