Milano Turn Signal Switch Q's

For a few years now, I've put up with my turn signals rarely staying in
the on position and with them not cancelling when they did stay on.
Today I took off the turn signal switch and cleaned it by spraying with
contact cleaner.  I would have like to open it up and properly clean and
lube it, but noticed it was riveted together.  First question:  Has
anyone drilled out the rivets and serviced the switch this way, or is it
too tough to put back together?

The cleaning that I did do resulted in the signals staying on but the
operation is now a little stiff so I'd like to lube it.  One down, one
to go.

While I had the switch out I identified how the cancellation works.
However the white two winged apparatus on the steering shaft which is
suppose to hit the switch cancelation lever does not turn.  Their is
another white plastic part closer to the steering wheel that looks like
it might have had some part broken off.  Did this part have a component
that would turn the two winged apparatus?  Basically, I guess my second
question is:  How does the cancellation suppose to work and what
normally breaks?

Thanks
Scott Swanberg, St. Paul, MN
' 87 Milano Platinum