RE: Milano Turn Signal Switch Q's

Scott Swanberg wrote:
> For a few years now, I've put up with my turn signals rarely
> staying in the on position and with them not cancelling...

> Today I took off the turn signal switch and cleaned it by
> spraying with contact cleaner. I would have like to open
> it up and properly clean and lube it...

You might try lubing it with a spray lubricant like TriFlow or =

Chain Lube (not WD-40!).

> How does the cancellation suppose to work and what
> normally breaks?

There are two little nylon tabs located 180 deg from each other
that fit into the winged piece that break off. These tabs are
located on a cylinder attached to the steering wheel. My turn
signal cancellation tabs broke off about five years ago when I
forcibly held the turn signal lever up for the second of two
very close right turns.

I replaced the original cylinder/tab assembly with one I made
out of plastic pipe! It was a fair amount of work to make and
install, but cheap. The prototype lasted about two years,
and then the tabs broke off this piece too. It happened one
cold Dec. morning, probably because the tabs weren't supported
and plastic pipe is not designed for this type stress. Anyway,
I redesigned the replacement piece so the tabs are reinforced
and the current assembly still works. I have drawings if
anyone is interested.

Good luck,

Rich Hirsch
'87 Milano