Re: Oils

At the Monterey Historics, I bought some Motul synthetic from the Motul
rep ( 2 for 1 pricing). The rep claimed that the esters used in Motul
were not used by other "synthetics" which were not as "synthetic" as is
Motul. He claimed far better performance and viscosity regulation,
especially on the track. Even though you work for Castrol--is there any
technical support for this claim?--Motul is more expensive than the other
synthetics, but if worth it, I'll continue using it.

On Tue, 13 Oct 1998 John_Russell@domain.elided wrote:

> If you care for your engine then don't even consider a mineral oil, they
> really are comparitevely poor in preventing metal-metal contact. All
> synthetic oils should be good for your needs, although I know that Mobil 1
> didn't perform very well in wear tests. Personally I use Castrol RS 10w-60
> in my 75ts, and GTX Magnatec (semi-synthetic) 10w-40 in my Alfasud. The
> Magnatec contains a unique molecular compound which enbles the oil to
> 'cling' to metal indefinately, thus providing an additional protective
> coating between surfaces. To my knowledge no other oil contains this ester
> which makes Magnatec perform consistently well in wear testing and I have
> no hesitation in using it in my Sud. The only reason I don't use it in my
> 75 is that its kinematic viscosity is a bit too low for my 100,000 miler
> when used on a track. But then I could be biased - I'm a test engineer for
> Castrol!
>
> Regards
>
> John
>
> 1988 75 ts (daily driver)