RE: 164 door handles

feel lucky- my driver's side handle (91 164S) fractured at like 20K miles,
and now (60K miles) my passenger's side is showing a little irregularity in
the paint along the connection points, so I'm assuming it's starting to
bend/break. I don't know how expensive it is b/c warranty covered mine- be
sure to get a good paint shop, or else (like mine) it will look like an
obvious replacement. It's a common repacement, to the best of my knowledge.
In other news, someone long ago said they "trained" their family to open the
doors with as little stress on the handles as posible- unlatch the mechanism
with the handle, then use the plastic B-pillar area to open the door. This
also IMHO saves finger prints from the paint. Shallow, maybe, but effective.
Hope this helps.
mark domby