re: Broke brakes!

ralph, you said:
>...The background;
>    * Abs lite always comes on briefly when I start car - had the car about 6
>    months.
>    * Had made a couple of heavy braking stops (to avoid running red lites)
>    prior to the Event.
>    * Pump was not running when I stopped to check under the hood - no burnt
>    wiring smells - pump was hot but so was engine (a/c on).
>    * I've had a few instances this summer when engine temp has gotten really
>    hot (heavy traffic & a/c on + upper 90's ambient temp) - this has caused
>    ABS & Brake lite to come on, pump running.  I installed some insulation
>    that shields abs pump & master cylinder - haven't seen problem since
>    but.............
>    * I made it home & left car parked for 30 mins; restarted to put in
garage
>    - ABS pump came on briefly, lite went out & I had brakes again!
> I've read the stuff on Shiv's page, Rich Hirsch's articles and the
> accumulator is the obvious villan but............why wasn't the pump
>running?
=============================
i think the pump wasn't running, cuz the accumulator is NOT the problem - if it
was, you'd have the abs lite staying on for a lot more than "briefly" when you
start up the car.  i'd hazard a guess that you have a master cylinder starting
to go south (lesee -you're in houston - mebbe mexico?)  - perhaps a seal
somewhere inside wasn't sealing when you hit the brakes.  cuz your abs lite
always goes out shortly after start the car, i'd say that the pump & accumulator
are ok.

on MY werde, i suspect the pump, cuz the accumulator is a relatively recent
replacement, and cuz the abs lite stays on for about 30 seconds when i start up
the car.  i also had the "pump & abs-lite come on & stay on" syndrome when stuck
in traffic on hot days w/the a/c on.  wrapping w/insulation also helped keep
this problem from recurring.

milano abs is a strange thing - mebbe time to conwert to a non-abs system.

doug s.