sedile posteriore di fortuna

In AD7-163 Andrew Watry is looking for the rear seat for a 1959 Sprint, "I
have an upholstered upright plywood piece for the rear seat that looks
original, but is there a cushion that goes in front of it?"

The Giulietta parts books I have, both the full size loose-leaf version and
the original little red parts book #608, have a normal illustration for the
(front) seats and the two piece carpeted luggage shelf which goes behind it,
plus a thumbnail (1" x 1.24") drawing of the cabin with a roughly half-inch
back seat which, in the parts listing, is identified as "sedile posteriore di
fortuna", translated as "rear seat, auxiliary". The immediately following
sections on carpets have fixed carpets which fit below the luggage shelf, and
a vertical panel identified as "paratia", which translates as "bulkhead",
which is probably the plywood piece Andrew has. The very minimal sales
literature I have on the Sprint does not mention (or show) a back seat. The
Anderloni book on the Giulietta has a pair of photos (p.72) showing early
variations from the prototype shown at Turin, including a back seat which is
described as usable for children but not by adults due to lack of height In
Fusi the car is called a "2 posti + 2 di fortuna", in contrast to the Sprint
GT which is called a "4 posti" .

Together with the extremely modest trunk, not a space in which one would want
to jam an elegant family foursome's elegant luggage, everything I see or sense
suggests that the Sprint was thought of as a two-seat coupe in which the good
luggage would be stowed inside for the weekend dalliance, with an optional but
probably rare possibility of fitting an occasional seat for small children.
The two-seat plus carpeted luggage shelf would certainly be a legitimate,
light, useful, and economical way to equip his restoration if he is so
disposed.

John H.