Burned Insulation and Alfa Supplier Suggestion

Folks,
Assuming the wire is not subjected to an external source of heat, the
reason that its insulation burns is because the wire gets hot.  The wire
usually gets hot because of the resistance of the cable termination.

I think that a burned starter cable is most likely due to a high resistance
connection at the motor post or else a bad connection at the wire to
terminal lug. If the damage is severe it may have deteriorated the copper
itself locally and so the cable should be reterminated.

As to supplier recommendations, I have used BOBCOR ALFA for many years and
up to a month ago or so they have been excellent ( I try and only buy OEM
parts) for my 164 and GTV6.  However in the last month their response has
been a bit laggardly, but I am still sticking with them for now.  This
change may be related to rumours about FIAT running down their US parts
stocks.  Anyway after this if anyone is interested, the number is 201
587-0028 and you need to ask for Jon Tangen.

Cheers

Bruce

Bruce Murray
Division Scientist