rear wheel bearing removal

I am trying to remove a rear wheel bearing from a 1600 Duetto type
axleshaft.  It is the type of shaft with the threaded crown nut that
acts as the retainer for the bearing (unlike newer ones that have the
shrink fit retaining ring).  I have removed the crown nut, but cannot
budge the bearing.  What is the easiest method that one of you have
found to accomplish this task?  The special tool that Alfa recommends is
quite a fancy puller, which I don't have access to.  It is difficult to
get at the bearing, as the hub base is outboard of the bearing and
cannot be removed until one removes the bearing.

Joe Senesac
Houston, TX
'67 Duetto