Help w/fuse problem

Hi all,

Today, I decided to replace my third brake light bulb which has been out for a
few weeks.  Every time I hit the brake pedal, the "brake" and "stop" lights on
the warning panel would light up.  After replacing the bulb, I asked my
fiancee to check if the third light was lit - it did not - no big deal.  The
problem was that all of my brake lights would not light up when I hit the
brake pedal.  Upon opening the fuse box, we found that the brake light fuse
had blown. Everytime we replaced the fuse and hit the brake pedal, the fuse
would blow. This would happen with the new bulb in, old bulb back in, or no
bulb at all.  Now, my "brake" and "stop" lights blink constantly and I have no
rear brake lights. Help! I'm afraid I'll get pulled over!

Thanks,

Kit Redwine
Seattle, WA
88 Verde