Spider body cracks

My 71 Spider has cracks in the body that go from the forward corners of
the trunk opening towards where the convertable top attaches to the body.
 I have noticed several Spiders with a little chrome plate in this area,
and the trim around the lower edge of the top has a small cut out that
would accomodate these.  Upon further inspection There does not appear
that there were ever any mounted because on inspection of the inside of
trunk shows no holes, and no apparent repairs.  As with any 1971 car that
has unknown history this trim could have come off a later car
What is the story with these plates?  Were they an option?  Were they
standard and mine have been removed at some time?  And are ther any
better fixes for this?  Thanks. Kevin

Orem Utah.

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]