suspension unspringing

Dan Hagrman wrote:

I've got first-time shakes about pulling apart my front suspension in an
'89
spider for a rebuild, and someone (?) recently posted a method of
popping
the spring using 4 2foot long threaded rods and 3 nuts on each rod to
lower
the bottom spring support.  This idea appeals to me more than "spring
compressors" (sounds safer, with 4 rods instead of 2), but I'm unclear
on
the procedure--if they are 2' rods, won't the car have to be 3' in the
air
to get the rods into the holes?  The threaded rod length is mostly below
the
suspension arm, sticking straight down, right?  How much will the spring
uncompress before becoming loose? 6 inches or more?  Any other advice or
potential pitfalls I should know before doing this procedure?

Dan:  I used the threaded rod method on my 105 series car last year-
worked great using 5.5" long, 3/8" dia galvanized rod from Home D.
However, after doing the job I saw a post on AD about using this method
only to discover upon completion that the rod had stretched!  I believe
this post was in v.6- you can find it if you review the archives.  Get
good quality threaded rod(!) & proceed carefully.

- -Brian
67 GTV