Exploding Coil

Hi Everybody:

 I came home from work today and decided to wax the spider.  I had the
radio playing, a half hour passed when I heard a loud poop and smoke
coming out from under the hood!  At first I thought it was an electrical
fire!!  I opened the hood to find the coil and the hood above it covered
in a hot black goo and the coil was to hot to touch!  What Gives?  I
thought I seen it all.  The car is a 82 Alfa Spider the coil was a
Bosch.

BTW. The car started up fine and I drove it around the block.

Thanks
Ralph Delauretis