RE: Hertzman Reply on Popsicle Stick Windshield Removal

> It is correct that I have never remvoved a later gasketted
> windshield using the
> popsicle stick technique.  I'd have to look at a gtv-6 gasket
> system before I'd
> attempt removal.  I had know idea pop rivets were involved!  So,
> your cautious
> advice to cut the gasket is prudent.  I'd still like a crack (no
> pun intended!)
> at your damaged sport sedan windshield.  I wonder, if it's harder
> to remove a
> newer style windshield, is it equally as hard to reinstall?

i've removed and installed both a gtv and an alfetta (sedan) windshield (and
a spider..), both with gaskets.  from memory, the sedan windshield was on
the same level of difficulty as the gtv, but marginally more difficult (i.e.
not an order of magnitude).

i've tried to remove gtv6 glass with the gasket, and gotten to the point
where i chickened out.

i've also broken gtv and spider glass trying to get it out with the gaskets
in place.  it's a terrible feeling when you apply *just* a little too much
pressure and that spider web appears.  i had that same level of discomfort
with the gtv6 when i chickened out.  it felt like i was applying about as
much pressure to that glass as what caused spider and gtv glass to crack in
the past.

my memory is faded, but there's also those two riveted pieces on the gtv6
that complicate things a bit.  i've ended up cutting the gasket, but i
suppose you could also drill the rivets.

without cutting the gaskets my records are roughly as follows:

spider - 4/5
gtv	- 1/2
alfetta sedan - 1/1

with cutting the gaskets, things improve:

spider - 5/5
gtv	- 1/1
gtv6	- 2/2
milano - 0/2*