The popsicle-digest

Bob Brady responded to my popsickle stick post:
"It is correct that I have never remvoved a later gasketted windshield using
the
popsicle stick technique.  I'd have to look at a gtv-6 gasket system before
I'd
attempt removal.  I had know idea pop rivets were involved!  So, your cautious
advice to cut the gasket is prudent.  I'd still like a crack (no pun
intended!)
at your damaged sport sedan windshield.  I wonder, if it's harder to remove a
newer style windshield, is it equally as hard to reinstall?"

I wasn't advising cutting the gasket, just saying that I am chicken- and I
don't know that the GTV-6 windshield has the pop-riveted retainers. (Some of
my parts cars are so tightly packed that I can't get to them- ) but the Sport
Sedans are all accessible, all were retainered, and if he wants to have a
crack at my Sport Sedan windshields I would be glad to have him come down to
Raleigh for a weekend tutorial- I will provide popsickles, beer, bed &
breakfast (if he is not allergic to Maine Coon cats, otherwise he can sleep in
the garage) and two Sport Sedan parts cars. If the cracked windshield comes
out of the wreck neatly, we can move on to the good glass in the rust-out. I
would enjoy seeing a master ply his craft.

The Alfetta/GTV-6 may be easier. In AD7-120 Ross A. Jones, at an unidentified
location, said that Speedy Auto Glass put his old windshield together with a
new GTV-6 gasket, and "made a point of mentioning that it took three guys to
do the install!". In AD7-121 David Rubie in Sidney, Australia replied that on
his '78 Alfetta "I wimped out about removing the windscreen and called
"Windscreens O'Brien" - - One, shuffling little guy turned up in a van, popped
the window out (complete!) charged me a nominal sum and disappeared. Once I
had finished the job, he turned up again, popped it back in without a care,
charged a fraction more and happily drove into the distance.  I was amazed.
He only used a piece of string and a suction cup to attach to the screen. Why
does it take 3 guys to do this job?  Was this guy the Ultimate Windscreen Guy?
I love watching people who are good at their job."

So- again- I am not claiming knowledge, only an awareness of the depth of my
ignorance, inexperience, and an inclination to prudence.

Bob? Preference on beer-brand? Dinner with or without anchovies?

John H.