115 Front suspension question

I have a 74 GTV.  Its my first Alfa.  The car is a stock 115 model (USA spec).
I look at a lot of pictures of GTVs and they all seem to sit flat or level in
comparison to mine.  Mine seems to have an extra lift on the front end and
it sort of makes me feel like it should have eyes and a mouth painted on
each side like an old P-51 Mustang.  The previous owner told me that he
thought spacers were put under the front springs so the headlight
height would meet the USA specs at the time.  It was like that when
he bought it about 10 years ago.

The shop manual diagrams two points (A being the distance from ground
to lower wishbone shaft and B being the distance from ground to bottom of
swivel pin) at which to measure on the front suspension stating that the
proper distance should be 1.34" +/- .20".  Mine measures 2".

My first question is:  Is this story about the spacers true?  Have other
owners
removed the spacers so the car would sit flat or level?

Second, if there are spacers and they can be removed, how can you remove them?
I saw a special tool being required in the repair manual.  Is there a
comparable tool
out there or otherwise safe method for compressing the front springs?

Thanks,
Jeff Thomas