Re: unintended acceleration

> Subject: [none]
>
> Doug,
>
> > sorry, gary, sounds like an old "60 minutes" audi
> > story to me.  soundslike your friend stepped on
> > the gas, not the brakes.  sounds like more than
> > 40 other benz owners have done likewise.  in the
>
> That was certainly my first thought too. But when I saw the extent of
> other occurrences, I began to wonder. Certainly, the insurance company
> is on her side, (there's a pleasant change) and it seems that they
> will sue MB.
>
> FWIW, the NHTSC site also documents an EXTREMELY HIGH number of jeeps
> (I think it was) that seem to have experienced similar problems.

My wife's Cherokee has a lockout between the brake pedal and
the automatic tranny selector, such that you can't shift out of
Park without the brake pedal depressed.  I figured this was
some kind of defense by Chrysler against operator stupidity.

Then again, I may never have noticed it until I tried to select
Park without having the brakes on (the handbrake doesn't count
in this system).  Just another one of those stupid US things
like buzzers to indicate your door is open when the key is
in the ignition, and those awful foot operated parking brakes
(thankfully, the Cherokee doesn't have one).

Ob. alfa content:

Cherokee's make OK tow cars for alfa's, but aren't really heavy
enough for substantial use.  Plenty of power though.

dave.

[deleted]