Re: buying a 164LS

gohyde@domain.elided (Gordon C Hyde) writes:
> I'm considering purchase of a 164, but may do it long distance.  I know
> that some of you will have some valuable assistance for what I should
> look for/stay away from. I'm thinking of a 94/95 (newer) and probably an
> LS rather than the rarer Q.   I've been reading the AD for about 2 years,
> but have mostly been paying closest attention to items re: my Spider.
> Your collective assistance is appreciated in advance.

I've had problems with these on my 94 LS:
- - exhaust rusting around welds
- - power steering rack leak
- - A/C control / display failure (check LCD segments, defroster functioning)
- - Tape player failure
- - heated seat not working
- - A-pillar trim vinyl coming loose

Timing belt change is a big expense. Expect $700 if they have to adjust the
cam timing and replace the idler.

That's about it (except for nature and other-driver inflicted wounds). It
has 55K miles.
- --
Colin Verrilli     Raleigh, NC     verrilli@domain.elided
'84 GTV6        '87 Milano Gold         '94 164LS Auto
Mid-Atlantic Alfa Romeo Club (MAARC) Treasurer
MAARC Home Page:  http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/2380
164 Home Page:    /alfa/FAQ/164
NOS Alfa Parts for sale: http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/2380/cbvparts.htm